Variances & Special Use Permits

Obtaining a Permit
When a residential or commercial project exceeds code limits for height, lot coverage, or a related dimension, a variance is usually required before a building permit can be approved. Certain property uses may also require a variance, which is known as a Special Use Permit.

Variances and special use permits are processed by the Zoning Division, and are heard by the Board of Zoning Appeals (BZA). The Planning Commission also reviews and provides comments to the BZA on the request.