New Resident Checklist

The following resources may be helpful for those moving into the City of Falls Church and Virginia. Welcome!

Download a print-friendly version of the New Resident Checklist, which includes a list of important phone numbers and various City programs and services. 

This information was last updated in April 2019. 

Cable Television, Internet & Telephone

A number of companies provide cable and satellite services to the City of Falls Church. The following is a select list; more providers may be available.


New Resident Checklist Flyer

Emergency Alerts (Falls Church Alerts)

Falls Church Alerts: Sign up for email and text alerts in the event of weather emergencies, police incidents, and other issues.


Move-In Day Logistics

Plan to have a moving truck for move-in day? You can request a parking space reservation so the truck can park on a City street for a specified date and time. Complete the request at least two weeks in advance of the move to allow for processing.

Parking and Drive-Through Street Permits

In order to park on certain city streets, you must have a parking permit issued by the Police Department. Visit the residential parking permits webpage or call 703-248-5054 (TTY 711) for more information.

Certain streets (Berry Street, South Cherry Street, North Roosevelt Street) require a drive-though permit issued by the Police Department. Visit the drive-through permits webpage or call 703-248-5054 (TTY 711) for more information.

Pet Licenses & Laws

Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies and licensed with the city. Licenses must be obtained within 30 days of moving into the city for dogs over 4 months of age. Cats over 4 months of age must be vaccinated against rabies, but do not need to be licensed with the city.

Licenses are issued by the Treasurer's Office. Contact the Treasurer's Office at 703-248-5046 (TTY 711). For all pet laws within the city, visit the animal control laws webpage.

Public Schools

Parents should enroll school-age children as soon as they arrive in the City of Falls Church. For information on how to register your child, visit the Falls Church City Public Schools website or call 703-248-5600 (TTY 711).

The City offers two preschool options through the Community Center and the new Jessie Thackrey Preschool. There are also a number of privately managed preschools in the area.


View the taxes webpage for city tax information.

Trash, Recycling, Yard Waste, and Compost Collection

The Department of Public Works, Solid Waste provides refuse, recycling, yard waste, bundled brush, special bulk, and seasonal leaf collections for single-family homes and townhouses located on public streets. Wednesday is waste day for all residential customers.

Additional fees apply for excess trash and special collections. Visit the city's solid waste webpage or call 703-248-5160 (TTY 711).

Weekly curbside compost collection is offered by The Compost Crew for $6 a month. Visit to learn more and sign-up. 

Useful Phone Numbers

Always dial 911 in case of an emergency. 

Police (Non-Emergency)703-241-5053 (TTY 711)
City Hall (general)703-248-5000 (TTY 711)
Building Safety Division703-248-5080 (TTY 711)
Commissioner of the Revenue703-248-5450 (TTY 711)
Community Center703-248-5200 (TTY 711)
Court Services703-248-5096 (TTY 711)
Elections and Voter Registration703-248-5085 (TTY 711)
Fire Marshal703-248-5058 (TTY 711)
Housing and Human Services703-248-5005 (TTY 711)
Human Resources 703-248-5127 (TTY 711)
Mary Riley Styles Public Library 703-248-5030 (TTY 711)
Power Outage (Dominion Energy)866-366-4357
Recreation and Parks 703-248-5077 (TTY 711)
Sheriff703-248-5111 (TTY 711)
Solid Waste Hotline703-248-5160 (TTY 711)
Treasurer703-248-5046 (TTY 711)
Water (Fairfax Water)703-698-5800

Vehicle Registration: State

All vehicles must be registered in Virginia and the City of Falls Church. For details on state registration, go to the DMV’s website or call 804-497-7100. 

  1. Annual Safety Inspection: Before operating a vehicle in Virginia, it must pass an annual safety inspection and display a valid safety inspection sticker. Be warned: if you drive your vehicle without an inspection sticker, you may be ticketed by law enforcement. Many businesses advertise inspection services in your local phone directory.
  2. Emissions Inspection: Before registering your vehicle, it must pass an emissions inspection. Emissions inspections can typically be performed at the same time as the safety inspection.
  3. Insurance Requirement: From the moment you register your vehicle to the day the registration expires, your vehicle must be covered by insurance, even if the vehicle is not working or not being used.
  4. Title: To register your vehicle in Virginia and obtain license plates, you must first title your vehicle within 30 days of moving to Virginia.
  5. Virginia Registration: Register your vehicle at any Virginia DMV customer service center within 30 days of moving to Virginia.
  6. Vehicle Registration: City
  7. Registration: After registering with the state, you must also register your vehicle with the City’s Commissioner of the Revenue.
  8. Decal: A City decal is required for all vehicles normally garaged in the City. Decals must be purchased within 60 days by new residents or residents with a newly acquired vehicle. After registering with the Commissioner of the Revenue, purchase a decal through the Treasurer's Office.
  9. Voter Registration

New and transfer voter registration applications may be filed with the city's Voter Registration Office or the DMV Select Office. You must register at least 29 days before a primary or general election or 14 days before a special election.

Water & Sewer Services

Water service is provided to the city by Fairfax Water. To open an account, visit the Fairfax Water website or call customer service at 703-698-5800 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Get Involved

We hope you will enjoy living in The Little City! Here are a number of highlights and ways to get involved: