Vacation, Sick Leave & Holidays

Annual Leave
Full-time regular employees earn 13 days of annual leave during their 1st year of service, accruing 4 hours per biweekly pay period. Employees earn approximately 1 extra day of annual leave per additional year of service. Part-time regular employees earn leave prorated to the number of hours worked per week.

Employees with 10 or fewer years of service may carry over 30 days of annual leave each July; employees with 10 or more years of service may carry over 40 days of annual leave. Upon separation, payment is made in full for all accrued leave, provided that the employee provides sufficient notice of resignation.

Sick Leave
Regular employees earn 13 days of sick leave per year. Upon separation after 1 or more years of service or upon retirement, payment is made for 25% of unused sick leave up to a maximum of $2,500. If an employee is retiring or is vested, the remaining sick leave balance (75%) is credited to service time and can be used to retire early.

With the supervisor's approval, up to 30 days sick leave may also be used for an employee to provide care for an ill family member.

Sick Leave Bank
Employees may join the city's Sick Leave Bank within 30 days of employment by contributing 8 hours of sick leave the 1st year of employment. Membership in the Sick Leave Bank is voluntary. The 8 hours of sick leave is deducted after completing 6 months of employment. Current employees may join the Sick Leave Bank during the annual open season.

Membership in the Sick Leave Bank entitles employees to withdraw leave from the Bank in the event of a catastrophic illness or injury and after exhausting sick, annual, and compensatory leave balances. There is a 30-workday eligibility period before employees can draw from the bank; members may use up to 50 workdays of leave per qualifying event.

Leaves of Absence
The following are types of leaves of absence:
  • Bereavement leave
  • Civil leave
  • Compensatory leave
  • Injury leave (for on-the-job accidents)
  • Leave without pay
  • Military leave
Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) leave may be taken as any combination of annual leave, compensatory leave, and sick leave; after paid leaves are exhausted, employees must use leave without pay for any further FMLA leave entitlement.

Paid Holidays
The City of Falls Church has 11.5 paid holidays, including:
  • New Year's Day
  • Martin Luther King Jr. Day
  • Presidents' Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Columbus Day
  • Veterans Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Friday after Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Eve (half day)
  • Christmas Day
Presidential Inauguration Day is also observed every 4th year.