Project Status: Construction in progress
- Contractor has received a Certificate of Substantial
- Awaiting installation of additional benches, trash cans and bollards to finish project
- Completion of project is schedule for January 31, 2023
- Placed concrete for brick pavers (sidewalk).
- Relocated fire hydrant.
- Installed conduits for traffic signals.
- Installed street light pole foundations.
- Installed storm pipe and stormwater infrastructure.
- Excavated for tree planters and placed planting soil.
- Removed existing traffic signal poles; temporary signals installed.
- Installed brick pavers on West Bound S Washington St.
- Demolished existing asphalt, sidewalk, curb, and gutter.
- Began concrete placement for brick pavers.
- Demolished existing driveways and sidewalks.
- Placed concrete for new driveways, ADA ramps, and curb/gutter.
- Began storm pipe and storm structure (e.g. manholes) installation.
- Demolished existing sidewalks and combination curb/gutters.
- Began conduit installation for irrigation system.
- Installed new curb and gutter on west side of S Washington Street.
- Installation underway of new electrical conduit for street lights and signal.
The City began construction to upgrade South Washington Street and Hillwood Avenue, and provide needed improvements to the intersection of those two streets.
A contract has been awarded to Fort Myer Construction and work is expected to take about one year.
The project includes many elements designed to improve safety and pedestrian accessibility, including – wider sidewalks on both streets, re-design of the intersection at South Washington and Hillwood, new crosswalks with ADA compliant ramps and push button pedestrian signals, new traffic signals, street lights, street trees and benches and a new Intermodal Transit plaza with bus shelters, bike racks and artistic features.