By Joanna Grey, Customer Service Representative
The City’s seasonal leaf collection program will begin on Monday, October 20, and run through the end of December, subject to weather conditions. For a detailed schedule please click here. Yet, keep in mind that collection schedules are changed and updated depending on the timing of the leaf drop, weather conditions, volume of leaves, and crew progress. Only place leaves in the curb a few days before the start of the two-week time block listed online. Leaves left in the curb for a few weeks at a time slow down the collection process as the leaves begin to decompose. The leaves will be collected via a vacuum truck. In order to facilitate the collection please read and follow the instructions below.
How to Prepare Leaves for Collection:
- Rake leaves to the curb and avoid placing them in the street.
- Pile leaves away from storm drains and water meter covers.
- Only rake leaves to the curb. Do not include stones, litter, branches, or other debris that may damage equipment or block storm drains.
- Do not include green yard waste in your leaf pile such as English ivy, plant leaves, or flowers. The composting process the City uses for leaf mulch does not heat up enough to kill spores inside green yard waste such as leaves. Only place leaves at the curb, which ensures a high quality end compost product, free of English ivy spores. Place green yard waste in brown paper bags with yellow yard waste stickers. Yard waste in brown bags will be composted at a commercial composting facility where temperatures are high enough to kill spores.
- Never park your car on a leaf pile - it's a fire hazard.
Bundled brush and yard waste bag collection continues throughout the leaf collection season on Wednesdays. If you have any questions please call Public Works at 703-248-5083 (TTY 711).