Blog_Banner (700X134)_thumb.jpg

City Views

City Views presents commentary from staff on the latest projects, initiatives, and successes.

View All Posts

Jul 14

Signs in the City

Posted on July 14, 2015 at 10:49 AM by OCOM Specialist

Did you know City of Falls Church has restrictions on the size, location, and, in certain instances, the duration signs can be posted in residential areas? Before you put one up, make sure you’re familiar with the rules and regulations regarding signs!

The following signs are usually determined exempt by the Zoning Division and don’t require a permit:

  • “Private Property,” “No Trespassing” or “Beware of Dog” signs
  • One temporary sale, rent, lease, build-to-suit sign, or sign announcing future construction
  • Yard sale signs
  • Up to three noncommercial temporary signs posted for no longer than 60 days
  • Historic markers in accordance with Virginia laws
  • Up to four “For Sale” or “For Rent” directional signs, which give directions to a property (can be displayed on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays only)
  • Temporary development signs (must be removed after construction is completed)

A permit (sign permit application) is required for the following types of signs:

  • Signs for a public, charitable, or institutional use
  • Subdivision/apartment identification signs
  • Multifamily rental office sign
  • Advertising sign for a tourist home, boardinghouse and/or rooming house
  • Advertising signs for commercial accessory uses in a multifamily development

Before posting a sign, make sure it complies with all City regulations and does not impede traffic or safety in any way. All freestanding signs are not allowed within five feet of a public right-of-way or ten feet from an adjacent property line.   

For more details about size, placement, and content requirements, visit the Zoning Division website  or email