If you or your family earned less than $54,000 in 2017, you may qualify for free tax preparation by IRS trained and certified volunteers through the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program. Volunteers will ensure you received the maximum tax refund and help determine your Income Tax Credit (EITC) eligibility. Tax preparation includes free e-filing and copy of your tax return.
Please bring the following items:
- Photo ID for you and your spouse if filing jointly.
- Important: All client (including returning) must bring Social Security cards or Tax Payer Identification Number (ITIN) for everyone in the family.
- All income statements: W-2, W-P, W-2G & 1099, etc.
- All income statements for each working dependent: W-2, etc.
- Voided check for direct deposit.
- Expense documents: dependent care, education-related expenses, home mortgage interest payments.
- Proof of health insurance coverage, i.e. form 1095A, insurance card, Medicare or Medicaid card.
There is one VITA site located within the City of Falls Church:
Location: 303 S. Maple St.
Hours: Saturday, 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Dates: January 27 - April 14
For additional VITA locations in Northern Virginia, visit the VITA website.
The VITA Program is a national program sponsored by the IRS. Each tax season, VITA volunteers all over the country prepare federal and state tax returns for low-income families – those making $54,000 and less in 2017 – in public libraries and community centers, and on college campuses. With the help of local governments, libraries, and community and faith based organizations, VITA is implemented in the Northern Virginia area throughout Alexandria, Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William Counties. Together, the coalition is called NVACASH– the Northern Virginia Coalition for Creating Assets, Savings and Hope.