Skip Navigation Skip To Footer

Welcome to, the Official Website of the City of Falls Church, Virginia En Español | Tieng Viet | Printer Friendly | Text Size:
Home Online Services Residential Services Business Services Recreation & Culture Government News
Did You Know...

Question Mark
Rising and falling cold weather means more water main breaks! Report breaks to Public Utilities Customer Service at 703-248-5071.

Sidewalks and potholes in need of repair should be reported to the Department of Public Works, 703-248-5081. Permanent repairs are made between April and October, depending on temperature and weather conditions. Temporary patches are provided during cold weather months.

The City of Falls Church and Arlington County make up the 17th Judicial District of Virginia. The City of Falls Church and Arlington County each have their own district courts; however, there is only one Circuit Court for the two municipalities, and it is located in Arlington.

A variety of volunteer opportunities area available at the City library, special events with the Recreation and Parks Department and Cherry Hill Farmhouse, environmental programs, and boards and commissions. Click here to view the full list of volunteer opportunities.

The City's Tree Ordinance and the City Code include guidance and regulations for tree preservation and tree removal. City policies are administered by Department of Public Works' Urban Forestry Division.

The City's noise ordinance prohibits noise disturbance before 7 a.m. and after 9 p.m. on weekdays, and before 9 a.m. and after 9 p.m. on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays. Violations should be reported to the Police Department at 703-241-5053 (TTY equipped).

Citizens may register to vote in person at the Registrar's Office (City Hall, 300 Park Ave.) or by mail. Applications to register by mail are available on the City website, at City Hall (300 Park Ave.), and at the Mary Riley Styles Public Library (120 N. Virginia Ave.) Applications may also be requested by calling 703-248-5085.

Virginia law requires children ages eight and younger to be secured in a child restraint device (which includes booster seats) when traveling in vehicles. Sheriff's deputies provide free inspection of car seats, year-round Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Call 703-248-5111 (TTY 711) or e-mail for more information.

Keep kids safe! Anyone 14 years of age or younger must wear a helmet while bicycling. Protective helmets must be worn whenever riding or being carried on a bicycle on any street, highway, sidewalk, or public bicycle path.

Grass, weeds, and brush must be shorter than 12 inches. Property owners found in violation will have seven days to remove such plant life. Otherwise the City will remove them and the cost will be assessed against the property owner. To report violations, contact the Zoning Division at 703-248-5015 (TTY 711).

It is against the law to keep more than seven companion animals per dwelling unit in the City. Companion animals include dogs, cats, hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, ferrets, birds that are normally purchased through a pet store; gold fish and aquarium fish; non-poisonous snakes less than eight feet in length; domestic rabbits, mice and rats that have been bred in captivity and have never known the wild. All other animals are considered wild or exotic and it is illegal to own, possess or transport any such animal. Of the allowable animals, it is unlawful to keep more than three dogs over four months of age or four cats over four months of age. This limitation does not apply to those authorized to operate a kennel. Questions? Call the Animal Control Officer at 703-248-5172 (TTY 711).

If you believe you have been discriminated against during the purchase or rental of housing, you may notify Housing and Human Services by calling 703-248-5005 (TTY 711). You may also submit your complaint directly to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

You can help in the fight against gangs by reporting graffiti. Report the specific location of any graffiti you see to the Police Department at 241-5053 or e-mail Once reported, the City's Department of Public Works will remove graffiti from public property within 10 days. If graffiti is on private property, the owner of said property will be requested to remove it.

The Falls Church Farmers Market is open every Saturday from 9 a.m. until noon January through March. It opens at 8 a.m. the rest of the year. The Market is held in the City Hall parking lot, 300 Park Ave. For details, call 703-248-5077.

Property owners are required to remove snow or ice from sidewalks. Failure to do so properly can result in a fine by the Police Department. Snow and ice must not be placed on City streets. If you need help shoveling, call 703-248-5077 (TTY 711).
  • Residential Snow and Ice Removal Policy: Residents must remove snow and ice from sidewalks 12 hours after snowfall. If the snow falls at night, residents have 12 hours after sunrise to remove it.

  • Commercial Snow and Ice Removal Policy: Owners must remove snow and ice from sidewalks surrounding the property 6 hours after snowfall. If the snow falls at night, businesses have 6 hours after sunrise to remove it.

Grills cannot be used on balconies of any apartment building, stacked units or other structures of similar occupancy. Prohibited items include charcoal cookers, braziers, hibachi, grill or any gasoline or other flammable or combustible liquid or liquefied petroleum gas-fired stove or similar device. Such cookers cannot be used within 15 feet of buildings. Electric cookers or grills are permitted.

The CIty of Falls Church DMV Select office in City Hall (300 Park Ave.) is open to everyone, not just Falls Church City residents. Services include processing vehicle titles, vehicle registration, ordering license plates and more.

Recyclable materials are accepted year-round at the City of Falls Church Recycling Center. This self-serve facility provides a convenient place for citizens and businesses to drop off commonly recycled items, such as: newspaper, cans, cardboard, glass bottles and jars, phone books, plastic bottles and jugs, mixed paper (junk mail, magazines, catalogs, copier and computer paper, etc.), and clothing and textiles. The Center is open 7 days a week from 7 a.m. to dusk.

The City Police Department conducts daily house checks for residents who will be out of town for at least three days. It's the only one in the region to offer this free service. City police will only conduct house checks on single-family homes and townhouses. The department cannot guarantee house checks will stop intentional criminal acts. House checks will be conducted depending on manpower and other duties of officers. To request a house check, call 703-241-5050 (TTY equipped).

Although there is no public housing in the City of Falls Church, Housing and Human Services provides an array of assistance to make renting more affordable. Call 703-248-5005 for more information.

Most street lights in the City are owned and maintained by Dominion Virginia Power. To report a problem with a light, please record the pole number, then call Dominion at 866-DOM-HELP (866-366-4357, choose option 1).

The City is responsible for the decorative light poles along main roads such as Broad St. These poles are grey metal with a City of Falls Church logo near the base. Residents should call the Department of Public Works at 703-248-5081 (TTY 711) to report problems with those street lights.
Sunday, April 20, 2014