Skip Navigation Skip To Footer

Welcome to, the Official Website of the City of Falls Church, Virginia En Español | Tieng Viet | Printer Friendly | Text Size:
Home Online Services Residential Services Business Services Recreation & Culture Government News
Residential Services

Cars & Transportation

City News


Documents & Records

Education & Schools

Elections & Voting

Environment & Trees

Health & Human Services

Housing & Property

Licenses & Permits

New Resident Checklist

Public Utilities

Public Works

Recreation & Culture

Safety & Crime Prevention

Senior Citizens


Volunteer & Get Involved

New Resident Checklist

Photo of New ResidentsThe following resources may be helpful for those moving into the City and Virginia. Welcome!

Follow these links or scroll to find the information below. Follow this link for a printable PDF of this checklist (updated January 2014).

  • Falls Church Alerts: sign up for email and text alerts in the event of weather emergencies, police incidents, and other issues.

  • Washington Gas: 703-750-1000
  • Emergencies (if you smell gas): 703-750-1400

A number of companies provide cable and satellite services to the City of Falls Church. The following is a select list; more providers may be available.
There are six steps for registering vehicles in Virginia and the City of Falls Church. For details on steps one through five, go to the DMV's website. For details on step six (City decals and registration), go to the City's website.
  1. Annual Safety Inspection: Before operating a vehicle in Virginia, it must pass an annual safety inspection and display a valid safety inspection sticker. Be warned: if you drive your vehicle without an inspection sticker, you may be ticketed by law enforcement. Many businesses advertise inspection services in your local phone directory.

  2. Emissions Inspection: Before registering your vehicle, it must pass an emissions inspection. Emissions inspections can typically be performed at the same time as the safety inspection.

  3. Insurance Requirement: From the moment you register your vehicle to the day the registration expires, your vehicle must be covered by insurance, even if it is not working or not being used.

  4. Title: To register your vehicle in Virginia and obtain license plates, you must first title your vehicle within 30 days of moving to Virginia.

  5. Virginia Registration: Register your vehicle at any Virginia DMV customer service center within 30 days of moving to Virginia, including the City of Falls Church DMV Select.

  6. City of Falls Church Decal and Registration: A City decal is required for all vehicles normally garaged within the City. Decals must be purchased within 60 days by new residents or residents with a newly acquired vehicle. Once your vehicle is registered with the Commissioner of the Revenue's Office, a decal can be purchased through the Treasurer's Office (click here for the webpage) or 703-248-5046 (TTY 711).
You must also register your vehicle with the Commissioner of the Revenue (click here for the webpage) or 703-248-5019 (TTY 711).

In order to park on certain City streets, you must have a parking permit issued by the Police Department. Visit the webpage or call 703-248-5054 (TTY 711).

Certain streets (Berry Street, South Cherry Street, North Roosevelt Street) require a drive-though permit issued by the Police Department. Visit the webpage or call 703-248-5054 (TTY 711).

Water service is provided to the City by Fairfax Water, To open an account, visit their website or call customer service at 703-698-5800 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 6 p.m. Visit our webpage for more details.

The Department of Public Works Solid Waste Division provides refuse, recycling, yard waste, bundled brush, special bulk, and seasonal leaf collections for single-family homes and townhouses located on public streets. Wednesday is Waste Day for all residential customers. Additional fees apply for excess trash and special collections. Visit the City's webpage or call 703-248-5160 (TTY 711).

New and transfer Voter Registration applications may be filed with the City's Voter Registration Office or the DMV Select Office. You must register at least 29 days before a primary or general election or 14 days before a special election.

The Treasurer's Office handles tax billing, relief, and payments. Visit the City's webpage or call 703-248-5046 (TTY 711).

The Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue handles business taxes, personal property tax assessments, and assists with income tax filing. Visit the City's webpage or call 703-248-5065 (TTY 711).

The Office of the Real Estate Assessor determines the current market value of taxable and tax exempt properties as of January 1 each year. The City Council uses these values to determine the annual tax rate. Visit the City's webpage or call 703-248-5022 (TTY 711).

Parents should enroll school-age children as soon as they arrive in the City of Falls Church. For information on how to register your child, visit the Falls Church City Public Schools website or call 703-248-5600 (TTY 711).

Dogs must be vaccinated against rabies and licensed with the City. Licenses must be obtained within 30 days of moving into the City for dogs over four months of age. Cats over four months of age must be vaccinated against rabies but do not need to be licensed with the City. Licenses are issued by the Treasurer's Office. Visit the City's webpage or call 703-248-5046 (TTY 711). For all pet laws within the City, visit this webpage.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Vehicle Registration, DMV Select, and City Decals

Permits: Residential Parking

Permits: Drive-Through Permits for Berry St., S. Cherry St., N. Roosevelt St.

Water and Sewer

Trash, Recycling, and Brush Collection

Voter Registration


Pet Licenses

Pet Laws