Do I have to purchase flood insurance?
If your building is located in Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) and federal or federally related financial assistance is associated with the building then you must purchase flood insurance. If you purchased, constructed, repaired, or improved a structure within the SFHA with federal monies derived (in totality or only in part) through federally backed loans or grants then this mandatory purchase flood insurance applies. This requirement also applies to machinery, equipment, fixtures, and furnishings contained in such building.

The requirement also applies to secured mortgage loans from financial institutions, such as commercial lenders, saving and loan associations (e.g., savings banks, and credit unions) that are regulated, supervised, or issued by federal agencies such as the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation and the Office of Thrift Supervision, which is to say most mortgage lenders. It also applies to all mortgage loans purchased by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac in the secondary mortgage market.

Show All Answers

1. What is the National Flood Insurance Program?
2. Do I have to purchase flood insurance?
3. How do I know if my property is in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA)?