Animal Bites

If your pet bites any person or if an animal bites you, you must notify the Animal Control Officer or the Police Department immediately by calling 703-248-5172 (TTY 711). Then, confine the animal (domestic animals only) for a period of 10 days for rabies observation. This may be done at home, a veterinary hospital, or the city's contracted shelter. The Animal Control Officer must approve the quarantine location and a rabies certificate must be presented. If quarantined at home, the animal must be contained away from other animals, and kept in an area where it cannot bite again.