What Was Approved
On March 27, 2023, the City Council approved zoning ordinance amendment changes related to outdoor dining use permits. All outdoor dining uses will need approval from the Zoning Administrator. Changes to the zoning ordinance include:
- Creation of a definition of ‘outdoor dining’
- Consolidation of requirements for outdoor dining in a new Supplementary Provisions section
- Allowance for administrative reductions in required parking to accommodate outdoor dining
- Addition of related administrative authority to regulate outdoor dining, including standards for administrative conditions, inspections, and revocation for unaddressed code violations.
How to Apply for an Outdoor Dining Permit
Restaurants will need to submit an outdoor dining application form and submission materials online to the Building Permits desk.
- The City will review the use and any potential impacts and request additional information from the owner, if necessary. The application will be reviewed for compliance with state and federal requirements (see federal, state and local authority code info below.)
- If the use request meets all code requirements, then the Zoning Administrator will sign off on the outdoor dining use permit. Staff will provide a copy of the approved permit to the owner and will file a copy with City records.
- For restaurants with existing outdoor dining use approvals on file, staff will be working to ensure their uses are updated.
The Outdoor Dining Application Form PDF is located here. Please fill out the form and submit the form and supplementary items to firstname.lastname@example.org.