Emergency management seeks to promote safer, less vulnerable communities with the capacity to cope with hazards and disasters.
Emergency management protects communities by coordinating and integrating all activities necessary to build, sustain, and improve the capability to mitigate against, prepare for, respond to, and recover from threatened or actual natural disasters, acts of terrorism, or other man-made disasters.
Severe Weather Awareness Week: March 6 - 10, 2023
Severe Weather Awareness Week (SWAW) is March 6 – 10, 2023, and a Virginia Statewide Tornado Drill will take place Tuesday, March 7, 2023, at 9:45 a.m.
Each day you can use this link to get information on different weather events to help you, your families, and your co-workers be more prepared during severe weather events. Each day of this week will focus on a different event.
- Monday, March 6: The difference between a "Watch" and a "Warning"
- Tuesday, March 7: Tornadoes
- Wednesday, March 8: Severe Thunderstorms, Hail, Lightning, and Wind
- Thursday, March 9: Flash Flooding
- Friday, March 10: Outdoor Weather Safety
Here you can find the information about SWAW provided by Virginia Department of Emergency Management.