Traffic Calming

As a part of the department's traffic calming program, residents can call the police department at 703-241-5053 (TTY 711) to request a speed counter in their neighborhood, which tracks the speed that motorists travel and helps the neighborhood and the police determine whether traffic calming measures, such as speed bumps, should be implemented in their neighborhood.

The police department also implements targeted traffic enforcement efforts in residential and school zones. Examples include Back-to-School bus stop safety campaigns, alcohol countermeasures, DUI enforcement, and pedestrian / bicycle safety enforcement.