Special Collections


Special bulk collections are available for items too large or heavy to fit into a trash container and for unbundled brush or brush exceeding 6 inches in diameter. Common examples include furniture, moving debris and household appliances. Contractor's waste will not be collected.

Special collections occur on Wednesdays, year-round (except City-observed holidays). Only residential curbside customers receiving solid waste collections are eligible for special collection services.
Special Collection Picture


Residents may request a special collection before Tuesday at noon for a Wednesday collection. Request the collection online or give us a call:

  • NEW: Request online. Visit our Recycle Coach App on our trash, recycling and compost page (the box in the middle of the page).  Scroll down and click Service Requests. Or download the smartphone app to make service requests from your mobile device.
  • Call the Solid Waste Hotline at 703-248-5160 (option 1). You will be transferred to American Disposal who will schedule your special collection as well as take payment for services.

Items must be at the curb by 7 a.m. on Wednesday. Depending on the types of material set out, several different trucks may be assigned to collect your materials. 


All special bulk collection or appliance pick up are now a prepaid service starting October 2, 2019. American Disposal will take payment over the phone prior to service. The fee for special bulk collection is $75 per two cubic yards of material.  The appliance collection fee is $30 per appliance.


Refuse and special collection services are provided only for the removal of materials resulting from normal residential use and routine home maintenance. Solid waste from any work done by a contractor may not be included with special collections. Contractors must arrange for the removal of solid waste or contact a private company to make alternative collection and disposal arrangements. We are unable to collect the following items:

  • Bricks, concrete, concrete blocks, rocks, stone
  • Construction debris
  • Contractor trash or yard waste
  • Dirt, sod, sand, railroad ties
  • Asbestos
  • Hazardous waste
  • Paint cans with wet paint
  • Tires


Each large-scale disposal poses different challenges from the type of items discarded to the ideal timeline.  When searching for the optimal solution, consider these alternatives:
  • Self haul.  Residents may use Fairfax County's solid waste facilities, including their Transfer Station and Hazardous Waste Drop Off Facility in Fairfax.  Fees are related to the weight of the items disposed rather than volume. Household hazardous waste disposal is free.  Consult their website for hours, fees and restrictions. 
  • Donation. If the item(s) are in working condition and have residual value, consider donating them to a local thrift store.  Depending on the item and thrift store, home pickup may be available.
  • Appliance recycling programs. Dominion Virginia Power offers an appliance recycling program targeting inefficient refrigerators and freezers.  Reimbursements may be available.  Check their website for details.
  • Junk hauling contractors.  There are many companies to choose from and a wide variety of services available (inside pickup, construction debris, etc).  Prices vary.  It is a good idea to check reviews and get quotes from multiple companies before requesting service.
  • Off the shelf products like the 'Bagster'.  Fill the three cubic yard bag at your leisure and call the hauling company for a pickup. These options can work well for construction debris, which are not accepted in the City's program. 
  • Scrap metal recycling.  Metal items, including appliances like hot water heaters, grills (without the propane tank), etc. can be taken to the Falls Church Recycling center (free).  Be aware that no trash is accepted at the Recycling Center.  Illegal dumping is monitored via surveillance cameras and perpetrators are prosecuted.
  • Contact a solid waste hauling company to inquire about options for managing large quantities of trash or construction debris. 

Contact Numbers

  • Billing Questions: 703-248-5466 (TTY 711)
  • General Questions: 703-248-5160 (TTY 711)
  • Solid Waste Code Enforcement: 703-248-5466 (TTY 711)
  • Special Collection Request Line: 703-248-5160, Option 1