October 1, 2022
217 Gordon Road
Falls Church, VA 22046
Saturday, October 1, 2022
Dispose certain items at this annual event! Click for details including where to dispose items year-round.
The Recycling Extravaganza is open to City of Falls Church residents only; ID or other proof of residency is required.
Stay tuned for a list of items accepted at this event!
Make Every Day a Recycling Extravaganza!
The City of Falls Church is pleased to announce that almost all the recycling offered at an Extravaganza is now offered every day of the year!
The long-running Extravaganza has made a tremendous impact over the years - thousands of residents served and hundreds of thousands of pounds diverted from the waste stream. But the greatest development of all may be the expansion of community-wide recycling options. It is now easier than ever to recycle a long list of items.
- Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
- Daily Drop-off: visit Fairfax County's HHW Drop-off Station, 4618 West Ox Rd, Fairfax 22030. Monday-Saturday 8am-4pm, Sunday 9am-4pm. Free for City residents. Detailed info here.
- Details: Household hazardous waste refers to consumer products that contain materials with any of the following characteristics: toxic, ignitable, corrosive, or reactive. Common hazardous wastes include cleaners, automotive fluids, herbicides, pesticides, oil-based paints, and thinners. Latex paints also accepted. Click here for a list of accepted items. Please visit our HHW website for more information, including alternative collection events hosted by the City.
- Clothing and Textiles
- Daily Drop-off: visit the City's recycling center, 217 Gordon Rd, 7am-7pm daily.
- Details: All items collected during Extravaganza events are also accepted at the daily drop-off! Includes clothing (both functional and clean scraps), belts, handbags, hats, paired socks, paired shoes, drapes, sheets, towels, fabrics, etc. Tax receipt available.
- Daily Drop-off: visit eAsset Solutions, 427 N. Maple Ave. Mon-Sat, 10am-4pm. Free for City residents, proof of residency required.
- Details: Items include computers and computer components, rechargeable batteries, printers, printer cartridges, fax machines, copiers, TVs, VCRs, telephones, cell phones, answering machines, etc. No kitchen appliances. Full list of accepted items.
- Paper Shredding
- Fairfax County hosts monthly shredding events that are free to City of Falls Church residents. Check their schedule here.
- Retail stores, such as the Staples at 1104 W Broad St, may offer on-demand shredding anytime the stores are open. Staples charges $1/lb.
- Daily Drop-off: Thanks to a partnership between the non-profit, Bikes for the World and local bike store, Bikenetic, drop-offs are available anytime the store is open. Bikenetic is located at 201 W Jefferson St. Additional donation options listed at Bikes for the World.
- Details: $10 donation requested for shipping to developing countries by Bikes for the World. No frames or tricycles are accepted. Tax receipt available.
- Eyeglasses and Hearing Aids
- Daily Drop-off: Collection boxes are located in the East and West Wing entrances to the City Hall building. Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. After-hour availability at East Wing entrance. Collection boxes exist in many retail outlets as well.
- Details: also includes sunglasses and reading glasses.
- Medical Supplies (not including medicine/drugs)
- Daily Drop-off: contact the Virginia Medical Brigade for donation options.
- Details: Canes, crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers. No shower chairs or bathroom chairs accepted. Tax receipt available.
- Metal Items
- Daily Drop-off: visit the City's recycling center, 217 Gordon Rd, 7am-5pm daily.
- Acceptable metal items include pots, pans, tools, pipes, venetian blinds, small metal appliances and other miscellaneous metal items.