The West Falls developer has proposed street names for the project, as shown on the map below. Public comments and input on the proposed names are welcomed and can be sent to Carly Aubrey (City Planning team) at email@example.com.
The proposed names are:
- West Falls Boulevard is proposed for the main corridor running north to south through the project. The street will be divided by open space commons area. This street will eventually connect to the West Falls Church Metro Station.
- Magnolia Street is proposed for the primary east to west street, leading from Haycock Road up to Mustang Alley in front of Meridian High School and Mary Ellen Henderson Middle School.
- Mulberry Lane is proposed for the north to south street between the proposed senior housing building and parking garage.
- Cardinal Lane is proposed for the east to west street between the proposed office building and proposed hotel.
- Arbor Way is proposed for the two segments of north to south streets on the west side of the proposed condominium building and the proposed office building.
About the Street Names
The developer gives reasoning behind the proposed names:
Our general approach to the naming was to select street names that would be relevant to the greater Falls Church community, and which would help ensure that the project becomes an integral part of the existing vibrant community. We leveraged the use of a tree-based approach due to the common use of that nomenclature throughout the City and to celebrate Falls Church’s status as a Tree City USA community as designated by the National Arbor Day Foundation. We looked at native trees in Virginia and this concept informed the following proposed names: Magnolia Street, Mulberry Lane, and Arbor Way. We sought to highlight the State Bird of Virginia – the Northern Cardinal – in our proposed use of Cardinal Lane. Finally, the proposed use of West Falls Boulevard was selected as a means of creating placemaking and identify for the central spine of the project which will extend through the project to the West Falls Church Metro station. The West Falls Boulevard name will provide alignment with the name of the broader district and will help to create a unified and recognizable place. Taken together, we feel that this collection of street names will offer a strong sense of place and be a collection that is fitting of its location, nature, and stature.
Timing on Street Name Approvals
The names will be adopted by resolution by City Council. City Council referred the resolution out to certain boards and commissions at their October 25, 2021 meeting and are also seeking public input. The naming process will follow this schedule: