October 2, 2021
217 Gordon Road
Falls Church, VA 22046
Saturday, October 2, 2021
Dispose certain items at this annual event! Click for details including where to dispose items year-round.
The Recycling Extravaganza is open to City of Falls Church residents only; ID or other proof of residency is required.
Items Accepted at the Event
- Hazardous Household Waste (HHW) such as household cleaners, automotive fluids, herbicides, pesticides, oil-based or latex paints, fluorescent bulbs, and petroleum based products.
- Paper for Shredding: up to three boxes.
- Usable items that can be donated at the event include:
- Wheel chairs, walkers, and crutches;
- Clothing, clothing accessories (such as belts and purses), and textiles (such as bed and bath linens and curtains). Clean scrap cloth is also accepted;
- Metal items, such as pots, pans, tools, and small kitchen appliances.
Not Accepted at This Event
- Large kitchen appliances and other medical items (including medicine, drugs and syringes).
- Electronics, but City residents can drop off items for free at eAsset Solutions, 427 N. Maple Ave. Mon-Sat, 10am-4pm. Free for City residents, proof of residency required. Details: Items include computers and computer components, rechargeable batteries, printers, printer cartridges, fax machines, copiers, TVs, VCRs, telephones, cell phones, answering machines, etc. No kitchen appliances. Full list of accepted items.
Make Every Day a Recycling Extravaganza!
The City of Falls Church is pleased to announce that almost all the recycling offered at an Extravaganza is now offered every day of the year!
The long-running Extravaganza has made a tremendous impact over the years - thousands of residents served and hundreds of thousands of pounds diverted from the waste stream. But the greatest development of all may be the expansion of community-wide recycling options. It is now easier than ever to recycle a long list of items.
- Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
- Daily Drop-off: visit Fairfax County's HHW Drop-off Station, 4618 West Ox Rd, Fairfax 22030. Monday-Saturday 8am-4pm, Sunday 9am-4pm. Free for City residents. Detailed info here.
- Details: Household hazardous waste refers to consumer products that contain materials with any of the following characteristics: toxic, ignitable, corrosive, or reactive. Common hazardous wastes include cleaners, automotive fluids, herbicides, pesticides, oil-based paints, and thinners. Latex paints also accepted. Click here for a list of accepted items. Please visit our HHW website for more information, including alternative collection events hosted by the City.
- Clothing and Textiles
- Daily Drop-off: visit the City's recycling center, 217 Gordon Rd, 7am-7pm daily.
- Details: All items collected during Extravaganza events are also accepted at the daily drop-off! Includes clothing (both functional and clean scraps), belts, handbags, hats, paired socks, paired shoes, drapes, sheets, towels, fabrics, etc. Tax receipt available.
- Daily Drop-off: visit eAsset Solutions, 427 N. Maple Ave. Mon-Sat, 10am-4pm. Free for City residents, proof of residency required.
- Details: Items include computers and computer components, rechargeable batteries, printers, printer cartridges, fax machines, copiers, TVs, VCRs, telephones, cell phones, answering machines, etc. No kitchen appliances. Full list of accepted items.
- Paper Shredding
- Fairfax County hosts monthly shredding events that are free to City of Falls Church residents. Check their schedule here.
- Retail stores, such as the Staples at 1104 W Broad St, may offer on-demand shredding anytime the stores are open. Staples charges $1/lb.
- Daily Drop-off: Thanks to a partnership between the non-profit, Bikes for the World and local bike store, Bikenetic, drop-offs are available anytime the store is open. Bikenetic is located at 201 W Jefferson St. Additional donation options listed at Bikes for the World.
- Details: $10 donation requested for shipping to developing countries by Bikes for the World. No frames or tricycles are accepted. Tax receipt available.
- Eyeglasses and Hearing Aids
- Daily Drop-off: Collection boxes are located in the East and West Wing entrances to the City Hall building. Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. After-hour availability at East Wing entrance. Collection boxes exist in many retail outlets as well.
- Details: also includes sunglasses and reading glasses.
- Medical Supplies (not including medicine/drugs)
- Daily Drop-off: contact the Virginia Medical Brigade for donation options.
- Details: Canes, crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, and strollers. No shower chairs or bathroom chairs accepted. Tax receipt available.
- Metal Items
- Daily Drop-off: visit the City's recycling center, 217 Gordon Rd, 7am-5pm daily.
- Acceptable metal items include pots, pans, tools, pipes, venetian blinds, small metal appliances and other miscellaneous metal items.